Buhl family displaced after early morning fire

By  | 

BUHL, Idaho (KMVT/KSVT) A Buhl family is lucky after their home was a victim to an electrical fire, early Saturday morning.

A teenager was up late charging his cell phone when he realized something was wrong.

“He smelled smoke and they noticed that their phone wasn't charging so the electrical was out and they woke up their mother. So it was lucky he was up," said Buhl Fire Chief Andrew Stevens.

None of the smoke detectors in the house were working and an electrical fire started in the attic just above the kitchen.

“There’s a lot of fires that we have where we show up and there’s active fire or smoke in the house and smoke detectors aren’t working or sounding,” Stevens said.

The family was able to vacate safely, and damage is minor considering what could have happened.

“It’s just something that a lot of people might think it’s not going to happen to them but if they don’t check their smoke detectors it’s definitely a possibility. That’s the main cause of death in a lot of fires is smoke inhalation,” Stevens said.

The Red Cross is assisting the displaced family, but restoration includes a new roof structure and ceiling.

The Buhl Fire Department is strategically teaming up with the Red Cross to hand out and install smoke detectors so other families will be safe in case of an emergency.

“All you have to do is go to their website or call the fire department and we’ll come out and set up an install date and we’ll do a pre-plan of somebody’s home. And then make sure they have enough smoke detectors in their house that are working. So we’ll even just come to check the smoke detectors that you have,” Stevens said.

Whether you need the fire department to install or just want them to check the functionality of existing ones, they’re available to keep everyone safe.

“GetASmokeAlarm.org is the Red Cross website, and they’ll contact us with anybody that needs smoke detectors. And if all else, just call the fire department,” Stevens said.

The family will be able to repair their home, there is no move-in date yet.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus