BOISE, Idaho (News Release) – $267,723 Awarded to Help Idahoans with Housing Questions & Issues
Idaho Housing and Finance Association recently received a federal grant in the amount of $267,723 from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for its Free Comprehensive Housing Counseling program. Housing Counseling and Homebuyer Education help approximately 7,500 Idahoans annually to better understand and successfully resolve their housing questions and issues. Many first-time homebuyers are also assisted with reaching their goal of homeownership.
Housing counselors assist callers confidentially about their housing needs; they answer questions and direct them to the right resources. The free service helps with a variety of situations, including:
• Identifying resources and solutions for homeowners experiencing housing problems and to avoid foreclosure.
• Helping renters and homebuyers develop a budget in preparation for homeownership.
• Providing information about housing resources, rights, and responsibilities.
• Understanding how reverse mortgages work.
• Reviewing credit reports and assisting with a debt-reduction plan.
• Referring renters to resources to assist with landlord/tenant issues.
• Providing life of loan counseling for first-time homebuyers that have completed Finally Home!® Homebuyer Education.
“Our housing counselors help potential and current homeowners with very complex situations such as foreclosure prevention and the benefits and risks of reverse mortgages,” says Heather Bowman, Idaho Housing’s homebuyer education and counseling administrator. “Callers do not need to be an Idaho Housing customer to receive the free assistance. Our programs and services are designed to help support affordable housing across Idaho.”
The fact that counseling improves housing outcomes for homebuyers, homeowners and renters was confirmed by HUD research published last year. Idaho Housing’s grant is part of almost $58.7 million HUD awarded competitively to 258 organizations that are expected to help more than 1.4 million families and individuals in 45 states.
Idaho Housing’s statewide, toll-free number for Housing Counseling is 1.855.505.4700. Housing counselors are also available within Idaho Housing’s four branch offices in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho Falls, Lewiston, and Twin Falls. Additional information about free housing counseling is available at idahohousing.com.