BOISE, Idaho (KMVT/KSVT) The State Department of Education is looking for public comment on five proposed rule changes to public education.
Those changes are:
- Professional Standards Commission (PSC) Revisions; Docket No. 08-0202-1701.
- Standards for Idaho School Buses and Operations; Docket No. 08-0202-1702.
- Extended Content Standards; Docket No. 08-0203-1703.
- Special Education Manual; Docket No. 08-0203-1704.
- Content Standards for Science, Driver Education, Information and Communication Technology; Docket No. 08-0203-1705.
The public can submit comments on these until Oct. 25. After that, the State Board of Education will vote on a final approval before sending them to the state legislators.
"I would encourage people who are invested in the laws and rules that govern our public education to take an interest in the rule making process and feel free to give us comments and questions," said Duncan Robb, the chief policy adviser with the State Department of Education.
Among the proposed changes are the science standards. Last legislative session, elected officials sent five points that pertained to climate science back for re-working. Those were released earlier this year.
"So far the response I'd say has been overwhelmingly supporting," Robb said. "But I can't speak for the legislature yet."
Before it even goes to the legislature, the public and State Board can still weigh in.