TWIN FALLS, Idaho (KMVT/KSVT) - The Twin Falls Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at South Hills Middle School a little before noon on Monday.
Captain Josh Kliegl said the heating equipment on top of the roof malfunctioned. He said a belt stopped and caused a "slight amount of odor and smoke in the building."
The students in that part of the school evacuated and were safe.
"The kids are all doing great. They actually evacuated to a different part of the building just to get out of the smell. There was no immediate danger," Kliegl said.
He said maintenance fixed the faulty equipment and the kids went back into the building later in the day and the school was running at 100 percent.
The fire crew put in a fan and opened doors to air out the odor for a short amount of time.