High: 65º Low: 41º
High: 69º Low: 43º
High; 72º Low: 46º
Fit And Well Idaho: National Nutrition Month
Twin Falls, Idaho ( KMVT-TV / KSVT-TV ) March is National Nutrition Month.
"Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right" is the theme this year.
Consumer research confirms that taste trumps nutrition... making it the main reason why one food is chosen over another.
But dietitians are hoping to change this perception.
The salad bar... a one stop shop for vitamins and minerals.
Although rich in color, not everyone is a fan of the taste of broccoli or peppercinis.
But that's not a dead end for healthy choices.
"I know it's hard. You always want to go for the pizza or what's some of the more unhealthy options. Make sure you hit up the salad or fruit. Choose more things that are grilled or baked. Stay away from things that are fried with added sauces or cream sauces," explains Dianna Zunino, registered dietician, St. Luke’s Magic Valley.
Whenever you go to the cafeteria, there are always plenty of options. Take for instance, Dr. Pepper. 250 calories versus skim milk, which only has 80.
If you're in need of a sugar fix, a soda or a candy bar here won't hurt, as long as you do it in moderation.
"Really 90% of the time, do the right thing, eat healthy food, and then 10% of the time, having that indulgence that you like and that kind of thing," says Kyli Gough, dietician, St. Luke’s Magic Valley.
Looking for taste while not stretching your waistline? Try expanding your horizons.
Many dietitians advocate a 90-10 approach.
Choose healthy options 90 percent of the time and the remaining 10 percent can be used for celebrations and sweets.