Twin Falls - 39.0 F (3.9 C)
  • Tuesday

    High: 65º Low: 38º

  • Wednesday

    High: 66º Low: 46º

  • Thursday

    High; 72º Low: 46º

UPDATE VIDEO ADDED: 12 Dead, 71 Victims in Shooting at Batman Premier in Denver

Tools

By KMVT News

UPDATE INFORMATION:

CLICK HERE FOR UP TO THE MINUTE INFORMATION FROM CBS NEWS



 

 

Aurora, Colorado (KMVT-TV) - Police have identified the man who killed 12 people at a late-night showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" at a theater near Denver, Colorado.

24-year old James Egan Holmes has been arrested as the suspected gunman.

Holmes, the suspect, has no known criminal record. He previously lived in San Diego, records show.

Police recovered four guns at the theater – one shotgun, two pistols and what is believed to be an assault rifle.

The police said 10 victims died at the theater and two at area hospitals.

Police had earlier reported 14 deaths, but later said that only 12 fatalities were confirmed.

Police also say 38 other people were wounded.

The youngest reported victim is a 3-month-old, who is said to be doing fine at a hospital treating 20 other patients, including 9 in critical condition.

Those wounded may also be hurt due to flying shrapnel, in addition to gunshot wounds.

Officials report Holmes was wearing a bullet-proof vest and was heavily armed.

The Aurora Police Chief says the suspect used some sort of "smoke device" before opening fire in the theater.

Holmes was reported to be wearing a gas mask, which was also recovered by authorities.

When Holmes was arrested, he did not resist arrest, but told police he had explosives at his home.

Police have evacuated the apartment building and it is reported by CBS that Holmes' apartment was booby-trapped with other ammunition and possible chemicals.

Officials looked through the window of the apartment and saw potential bomb-making devices instead of breaching the booby-trapped front door.

Police believe it could take hours or days to safely enter the apartment.

President Barack Obama released a statement saying he and his wife were "shocked and saddened" by the "horrific and tragic" shooting.

The President also said he and his administration would do everything they can to support the people of Aurora.

There's still no information yet on a possible motive.

It was the worst mass shooting in the United States since 32 people were killed on the Virginia Tech campus in 2007.

It was also the worst mass shooting in Colorado since the Columbine High School massacre on April 20, 1999 where 12 people were killed and 26 injured.



Subscribe to our Newsletters

KMVT Breaking News Alerts

Morning & Afternoon News Updates