High: 74º Low: 57º
High: 77º Low: 56º
High; 83º Low: 58º
Cleanup Complete After Mercury Spilled In Gooding School
Update: Officials say they checked a total of 240 students following the Mercury spill at the school. They found 3 shoes that were contaminated. They say everything is cleaned up and that the students are free to leave. Officials say levels for Mercury was very low in the school except for under the radiator where the vile was located. Even there, it was not above the high risk threshold. Health department officials say if parents that had children in the school are concerned, they should bag up clothing and shoes in question and take it to the school before 1pm Thursday. It will be tested at that time. A remeadiation company from Boise is currently on the scene and in the process of cleaning all effected areas.
Health department officials say if people have mercury in their homes, they should contact the DEQ for proper disposal procedures.
Gooding, Idaho ( KMVT-TV / KSVT-TV ) - A small vile of mercury that spilled onto the floor of the North Valley Academy school in Gooding is causing concern for the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality. Albert Crawshaw, the Hazmat Waste Scientist officer for the Twin Falls District of the DEQ said one-ounce of Mercury was found spilled near a heater in the corner of the schools entry way. Crawshaw said that “This is a significant amount of a release”. The DEQ set up an incident command unit for the assessment process.
Officials say they don’t know how the mercury got to the school. Crawshaw said he has been told it’s not part of the school’s lab. The spill was reported at 8:50 am this Wednesday morning but the actual spill happened sometime Tuesday.
The DEQ has asked the Public Health Department to be at the scene to answer any questions.