Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Burley


By Brittany Cooper

Burley, Idaho ( KMVT-TV / KSVT-TV ) Tuesday we told you about a Burley family who experienced carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Cassia County Sheriff's Office tells us the father had placed a generator in the lower level of the home.

And in this case, the fumes rose up into the rest of the house.

"Cassia 911, what's the location of your emergency?”

“I don't know, I just moved here today. My mom won't wake up.”

“And you don't know what your address is?”

“I just moved here today."

That was Laura, a Cassia County dispatcher, speaking with the teenage daughter.

The girl finally figured out her address, and Laura dispatched fire and EMT to the location.

It was just in the nick of time.

"When they knocked on the door, no one was responding at the door. During that time they were responding, I had lost communication with her... She told me they had just moved there and didn't have the electricity on yet. I had her turn on the flashlight so when medical got there, they could find the house more easily. As she was doing that, I had lost communication with her, and little did I know, that she had lost consciousness at this time," explains Laura, Cassia County dispatcher.

Cassia County Deputies were sent to the scene.

"Sgt. Welch, Doug Welch, went to the front door. Two deputies went around to the back door; that's Josh Crock and Brian Hunsaker. And they could hear somebody wheezing on the inside of the home, so they called Sgt. Welch, kicked in the door, and found a woman unresponsive, man responsive, and a female semi-conscious and drug them out of the house to where emergency personnel were waiting outside," says Cassia County Sheriff Jay Heward.

The family wasn't the only ones transported to the hospital. The three deputies also experienced symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, but they were treated and released.

"My girl was surprised she was conscious, given the levels of carbon in her system, so she really is the hero that she made that call and our deputies that went in and got the families and the pets out of the house," Laura says.

When minutes could be the difference between life and death.

As for the family, their status is unknown.

LDS Hospital personnel in Salt Lake City are tight-lipped about releasing the medical condition.

Meanwhile, Sheriff Heward recommends that everyone purchase carbon monoxide detectors for their homes.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

KMVT Breaking News Alerts

Morning & Afternoon News Updates