Twin Falls - 50.0 F (10.0 C)
  • Friday

    High: 70º Low: 47º

  • Saturday

    High: 54º Low: 44º

  • Sunday

    High; 47º Low: 35º

Fire Destroys Snyder's Surplus Near Rupert

Tools

By Paul Johnson

Rupert, Idaho (KMVT-TV) Fire ripped through a Rupert business this morning destroying Snyder’s Surplus store. Heyburn Fire Chief Mike Brown said about 35 firefighters from Rupert, Heyburn, East end and West end fire departments spent about 3 hours battling the fire and another 3 hours making sure all the hotspots were doused. The call for help came in at 10:20 am. Snyders Surplus is located at 112 South and 200 West just south of the Rupert Elks Lodge and Golf Course. The facility is on a large piece of property with several outbuildings and a home. The fire was contained to the main retail store. Throughout the fire, the firefighters kept a close eye on a 500 gallon propane tank which fortunately didn’t explode, Chief Brown said. Firefighters were also concerned with the high amount of ammo and gunpowder that was in the store as well. Store owner Randy Snyder told fire chief Brown that he had about $75,000 of inventory in the building and said the building was valued at around $300,000. It’s believed the fire started in the rear North East corner of the building where a outdoor type fireplace was located. A witness told authorities they could see flames shooting from duct work associated with the fireplace unit. The owner of the retail army surplus type store said he did not have insurance. Officials closed the 200 west road due to the nature of the fire and to protect the firefighters. No injuries were reported.

UPDATE INFORMATION 11:20AM - The Rupert Fire Department has been called in for assistance to help battle the fire.

Rupert, Idaho (KMVT-TV) Three fire departments have been called to battle a structure fire near Rupert. According to Minidoka County undersheriff Vic Watson, the Heyburn, East end and West End fire departments were all called to Snyders Surplus at 112 South 200 West about 10:20am this morning. Snyders is located on a large lot with a main Building and several out buildings. How the fire started has not been released. The store is just south of the Rupert Elks Lodge and Golf Course. Currently the 200 west road near the business is closed due to the fire emergency vehicles in the area. No injuries have been reported. KMVT and FOX 14 news is following this developing story and will have more information when it becomes available.


Subscribe to our Newsletters

KMVT Breaking News Alerts

Morning & Afternoon News Updates