City Council Decides Fate of Anniversary Canyon Jump


By Joey Martin

Twin Falls, Idaho ( KMVT-TV / KTWT-TV ) Controversy continues to surround the Snake River Canyon jump... as the Twin Falls City Council comes to a decision tonight about the anniversary jump.

At the city council meeting, roughly a dozen residents voiced their concerns and comments about the issue, many commending the council's decision.

Public safety is the primary concern of city leaders.

Twin Falls Police Chief Brian Pike addressed the council, he believes it would take twelve to eighteen months to work out a safety plan.

The city council voted on two motions.. one to give Big Ed Beckley more time...
That failed five to two.

And the second to not allow any jumps for up to one year from Monday... that passed four to three.

Twin Falls, Idaho ( KMVT-TV / KTWT-TV) On Monday, the Twin Falls City Council made a significant decision regarding the Evel Knievel jump site.

A motion was made, and eventually approved, to not allow any type of jump from the city owned site for up to a year from today.

The initial concerns for the proposed "Big Ed Beckley Jump" was the lack of a safety proposal, for not only the jump, but for the entire area of impact.

City Councilman Jim Munn was the creator of the motion and our reporter caught up with him after the meeting.

"The reason I felt that was appropriate was because after having the discussion tonight with Chief Pike whereby we learned that it was going to take 12 to 18 months to really develop a solid public safety plan. Coupled with the fact that were down police officer positions now, and that's going to take time to get rejuvenated. And just not a real clear number on the number of people that were going to be involved in this thing... I just felt comfortable with backing off of this. I think we own that to our community for a matter of public safety before we should proceed."
Said Twin Falls City Councilman Jim Munn.

That motion passed in a 4 to 3 vote.

Now that necessarily doesn't mean a jump could not take place in September.

Monday night’s decision means that no jump will take place from just the Evel Knievel site.

If any other applicant wishes to go through private property to make the jump, that is certainly a possibility.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

KMVT Breaking News Alerts

Morning & Afternoon News Updates