Jerome, Idaho (KMVT-TV) The Jerome Police Department is going digital...The city is replacing hand–written citations with an electronic ticketing system.
Marcos Noriega, Patrol Officer, City of Jerome says, "you can read the i–d two ways, first way is going to be the scanner which is the easiest way and then we have a 2D bar code on the back."
Say hello to e–ticketing.
Some of the Jerome police officers have already started using the device. And police expect the project will be fully utilized before the end of the month.
Noriega adds, "it's definitely going to lower our time on traffic stops, it will break down to be two–three minutes."
Officer Noriega tells us on average he conducts between 10 and 15 traffic stops a day, or more, depending on the violation.
"It's time–consuming, average citation takes about 8–10 minutes, 12 depending on what you're writing them for, especially if you're doing multiple citations."
Another advantage to the e–ticketing system is the increase in accuracy.
"Name, date of birth will all come in and we don't have it, it will come in manually."
The current system is subject to error.
"Misspellings, VIN numbers can be mixed up especially your penmanship, horrible penmanship. Some officers have and that's a factor as well."
Less time spent at a traffic stop, more time patrolling the streets.
The total cost of the project amounts to $35,000. 80% is funded federally while the other 20% is taken care of locally.