Twin Falls - 59.0 F (15.0 C)
  • Thursday

    High: 59º Low: 43º

  • Friday

    High: 54º Low: 36º

  • Saturday

    High; 51º Low: 35º

House Fires Becoming Way Too Common For Twin Falls Firefighters

Tools

By Brittany Cooper

Twin Falls, Idaho ( KMVT-TV / KTWT-TV ) The Twin Falls Fire Department has been busy lately battling house fires.

Common causes for fires this time of year include overloading the outlets and forgetting to unplug the Christmas lights.

But you should also make sure your heating systems are inspected each and every year. This is especially true for gas systems.

Chimneys and fireplaces should also be inspected.

Ron Aguirre, Battalion Chief, Twin Falls Fire Department says, "we had a couple of electrical fires, and that's a couple of outlets that were overloaded and it caused a fire situation and we also had a fireplace fire where the insulation was too close to the back of the fireplace, the gas fireplace and it caused a fire."

Aguirre also advises to keep candles away from curtains, window sills and pets. They recommend a 12 to 24 inch safe zone.

Also, check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they're in working order.


Subscribe to our Newsletters

KMVT Breaking News Alerts

Morning & Afternoon News Updates