Twin Falls - 65.0 F (18.3 C)
  • Thursday

    High: 65º Low: 47º

  • Friday

    High: 69º Low: 49º

  • Saturday

    High; 71º Low: 41º

No Reptiles Injured In Herrett Center Fire

Tools

By Brittany Cooper

Twin Falls, Idaho ( KMVT-TV / KTWT-TV ) The Twin Falls Fire Department responded to a small fire reported in the basement of the CSI Herrett Center.

The incident happened Sunday morning around 7 a.m. Capt. Eric Schmitz tells Idaho's First News that CSI Security and an employee were already at the scene.

The employee was working inside the building when the alarm sounded. The fire hadn't been burning long, because the security officer and employee quickly discovered the fire and vacated the building as the fire department was on the way.

"It appeared that a heat lamp should have been placed on top of the aquarium for the snakes had been placed on the bottom of a cart on top of an athletic bag and basket. The light is set to come on at 7 a.m, with a timer. At 7 a.m. the light came on, got hotter and hotter and caused the fire," explains Schmitz.

Fortunately, crews saved all of the snakes inside the room. The staff managed to wipe down one that was in the aquarium right above the fire. As for the other reptiles nearby, they were all OK.

CSI says the grand re-opening for the Faulkner Planetarium will go on as planned on Tuesday, November 19th starting at 7 p.m.


Subscribe to our Newsletters

KMVT Breaking News Alerts

Morning & Afternoon News Updates