Twin Falls - 55.0 F (12.8 C)
  • Tuesday

    High: 55º Low: 38º

  • Wednesday

    High: 65º Low: 46º

  • Thursday

    High; 66º Low: 46º

Twin Falls House Fire Displaces Family

Tools

By Paul Johnson

Twin Falls, Idaho ( KMVT-TV / KSVT-TV ) - An attic fire has displaced a family from their home at 144 Sidney Street off of Washington Street South. Twin Falls Fire Department Battalion Chief Ron Aguirre say they were called to the home around 3:30 pm Tuesday afternoon on the report that smoke was coming out of an attic. It took firefighters some time to find out what was causing the fire. Finally firefighters found some old knob and tube wiring that had short circuited. There is no other reason for the wiring failure other than age. Knob and Tube wiring was used in homes as late as the 1930’s according to Wikipedia. The Battalion Chief said some ceiling had to be pulled down. Then the fire department removed all of the insulation in the attic. That's when they discovered what he calls heavy damage to the roof structure. There was also some water damage to the approximate 1900-square foot home.

The Battalion chief said that if you own a home with the old knob and tube wiring make sure you have a professional electrician perform any upgrades. He added for any home or business owner that if a breaker trips continually, to leave it off and call a professional to check out the problem.

Three fire engines and a command unit responded to the scene.


Subscribe to our Newsletters

KMVT Breaking News Alerts

Morning & Afternoon News Updates