Utah Police Kill Man In Front Of Utah Television Station


By Paul Johnson

Salt Lake City, Utah (KUTV) - A man claiming he had an explosive device was shot by officers after a standoff Thursday night on Main Street in Salt Lake City right in front of the KUTV Studios.

Investigators remain on Main Street Friday morning trying to piece together what happened and what led up to the shooting.

Around 9:10 pm 2News received a phone call from a man, identified as Anthony Mayhew, claiming that he was wired with a bomb and had a detonator at the Gallivan Trax Stop located at 299 South Main Street.

Assignment Desk Editor Mehul Asher took the phone call with the suspect. “He just basically said, ‘I am right outside your studio, I have an explosive device strapped to my chest, I have a detonator in my hand,” Asher said. “He was threatening to, I guess, blow himself up.”

Police say they also received a call from the man claiming to have a bomb strapped to his body.

Police and SWAT Teams quickly responded to the scene and shut down the area around Main Street from 200 to 400 South and from State Street to West Temple. Trax and bus lines were also halted.

At one point, police also evacuated the 2News newsroom, telling the crew they were required to move to the back end of the building.

Police and SWAT Teams negotiated with Mayhew for 90 minutes, at times even talking within feet of the suspect.

Around 10:55pm police say the man began to approach the officers. Officers gave him commands, but the man disregarded them. The man was reportedly screaming at police officers to shoot him as he reached into his backpack, approaching them. The Salt Lake City Police Department says, at that point, the officers on scene believed their lives were in danger and shot the suspect.

The Salt Lake City bomb squad sent two robots in to the scene to detonate the man’s bag. They wanted to render the scene safe before giving the man medical treatment. Police say Mayhew was holding something in his hand when he was shot. The robot was able to retrieve the alleged device the man had, as well as the object in his hand.

Once the backpack was destroyed, paramedics attended to the suspect, administering CPR. The man was life-flighted to a nearby hospital for medical attention and is said to be in extremely critical condition.

Investigation into the incident continues. Police have not confirmed if explosives were in the man’s backpack.

UTA temporarily suspended service to Trax trains overnight, but service was fully restored and on scheduled as of Friday morning. Main Street has also been reopened.

Subscribe to our Newsletters

KMVT Breaking News Alerts

Morning & Afternoon News Updates