Fire department reminds residents about the importance of smoke alarms after deadly fire

By  | 

TWIN FALLS, Idaho (KMVT/KSVT) Officials say the cause of Thursday morning’s fire in Murtaugh was due to unattended cooking.

"After an exhaustive search and analysis of the fire debris and fire patterns. Our investigative team determined the cause of the fire in Murtaugh was unattended cooking on an electric stove,” said Knute Sandahl, an Idaho State Fire Marshal.

Sandahl is also reminding residents to install one very important thing.

"We're urging, with a great deal of enthusiasm for every resident in the state of Idaho to install smoke alarms," he said.

Rock Creek Fire Department Firefighter Taylor Hunsaker echoed the same thought.

"Smoke alarms are very important. They save lives. When they say a smoke alarm will save your life, it will. So if you can't afford smoke alarms, come talk to us, we'll be happy to help you get 'em,” Hunsaker explained.

Hunsaker also shared some tips to keep a home safe.

"If you're going to use your stove or your oven, make sure you turn it off when you're done. Keep your grease away from any kind of open flame, it's usually what’s going to cause some kind of fire, grease, any kind of pan that once it gets hot, if there's nothing in it, it’s going to get hot enough to start a fire,” Hunsaker stated.

He also reminds residents to not put water on a gas fire, and instead smother it with a lid or baking soda.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus