Mother alarmed by sippy cup explosion

By  | 

BOISE, Idaho (KBOI) — An Idaho mother says a sippy cup designed for children burned her when a battery inside it blew up, but the company who makes the cup says it's her fault.

“It's pretty tough to imagine using a cup so wrong... it explodes,” said mother Dzevada Becirovic

"Kids want stuff that lights up and has pretty colors on it and you expect them to be safe. But..."

Dzevada says it was her son's favorite cup.

"It's seriously the scariest thing to think about your child getting hurt and buying something like that. Like, you don't... You just don't expect it," she said.

Apparently, the lithium battery inside of the cup blew up.
Dzevada says she had to go to the hospital and was treated for chemical exposure in her lungs and her face.

"If it had been in his hands, I really don't even want to imagine what would have happened,” she said. “If it choked me up that bad and burned me, it could have taken a limb off of a child that little."

Now, she wants the cup recalled.

Meanwhile, the attorney for Luv n' care — Nuby's parent company — tells CBS 2 News they don't believe an explosion could have happened if the cup was being used properly.

While they are investigating what happened, they say they're confident their product is safe, but Dzevada insists she didn't do anything unusual with the cup. In fact she only handed washed it. She's alarmed the company isn't taking this seriously.

"It's not about the money, it's not about a lawsuit, it's not about anything other getting the word out there, because Nuby isn't doing their part,” she said. “It's obviously not a safe product."

Nuby wants her to send them the cup so they can examine it. Dzevada wants to send it to an independent lab to get an impartial answer first.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus