Two suspects arrested in Utah mall shooting

MURRAY, Utah (AP/CNN/KSTU) — The Latest: Utah mall where shooting occurred reopens
The Latest on a shooting at a Utah mall that wounded two people (all times local):

1:50 p.m.

A Salt Lake City suburban mall where two people were wounded Sunday in a gang-related shooting has reopened and was busy Monday with shoppers who say they aren't concerned about their safety.

Sean Sasso stopped by the Fashion Place mall in the suburb of Murray to do some quick shopping before going to work as a pharmacy technician. He had heard about the shooting, but says it didn't deter him because he doesn't want to live in fear.

Tim and Connie Schieving went to the mall as they do each morning to walk and get exercise and say they felt extra safe with additional police presence.

Police say the shooting that happened just outside the mall near the entrance was gang related, and happened after about a dozen people belonging to rival gangs crossed paths inside the mall.
10:45 a.m.

Utah police say they have made two arrests connected to the suburban Sal Lake City Mall shooting that wounded two people.

Police said Monday they arrested two 19-year-old men but were unsure whether those men had been gunmen.

Authorities say the shooting was gang related, and happened after about a dozen people belonging to rival gangs crossed paths inside the mall in the Salt Lake City suburb of Murray.

Murray Police Officer Kenny Bass says an argument spilled outside the mall, turned physical and that both groups fired shots.

He says a fire alarm that sent shoppers running for the exits went off by accident, the result of a prior malfunction.

One victim, a woman, has been released from the hospital. A man remains hospitalized in critical condition.
8:15 a.m.

One of two victims wounded in a Utah mall shooting is out of the hospital as authorities continue to search for the assailants.

Police in Murray, a suburb south of Salt Lake City, say a woman in her early 20s was treated and released just hours after the shooting broke out Sunday afternoon.

A man, also in his early 20s, remains hospitalized in critical condition.
Police believe the shooting may have been gang related and are looking for three suspects.

Authorities say they were described as wearing dark pants and light-colored sweatshirts or hoodies.

The gunfire erupted around 1:30 p.m. at Fashion Place Mall, sending panicked shoppers fleeing. Employees and customers in some stores hid inside backrooms.

It wasn't immediately clear Monday if the shopping center would be open.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus