Winter is more dangerous for structure fires

By  | 

WENDELL, Idaho (KMVT/KSVT) Winter can be a dangerous time for house fires.

The Wendell fire chief said that structure fires go up in the winter largely because of heating systems.

That can be things like wood or pellet stoves, but it can also be things like space heaters and overworked wiring causing electric fires.

That's especially alarming because response times may be slower in the winter.

A lot of the Magic Valley is covered by volunteer firefighters. If roads are slick it may take them longer to get to a fire truck then get to a house on fire.

So firefighters say it's important to take preventative measures.

"So just making sure you have working smoke detectors, working carbon monoxide detectors and being a little bit more fire safe is just better for everybody," said Bob Bailey, the Wendell fire chief.

Bailey also urged people not to leave space heaters untended or on overnight.

He said it's crucial for people to make sure smoke detectors are powered and working. Bailey recommends changing the batteries at Daylight Saving Time.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus